Tuesday, November 16, 2010

NaNo Blues

I decided to skip National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) this year. I'm still working on revisions of HM, and didn't want to start a new project.

HM is largely the product of NaNo in 2008. I had already started writing it when the month started, so I was breaking the rule that you have to start a new novel. When I finished HM, I started D&D. I think working on two different projects is a no-no, too. But I loved writing that month. The flow of words onto the page--many of them handwritten so that there was a literal flow as well as a metaphorical one.

I have been struggling with the revisions of HM. Wondering if I'd ever get back into that kind of flow. And it hit me. Pretend it's NaNo. While I know that more care needs to be taken with revisions than with first drafts--otherwise, why bother--I can still have fun with it. Mix it up. Write some on the computer and some in a notebook. Or all in a notebook and retype. It's slower to hand write, but I haven't exactly been blazing along on the keypad.

So halfway through the month I'm jumping in. That would mean, if I were to stick to the rules, 25,000 words by the end of the month. Since we all know how well I do with rules, I'm just going to say that I'll write something every day. I won't guarantee that the writing will be in order. Could be a scene here and there. But I will write.

And that's what is needed at this time.

1 comment: