Friday, November 12, 2010

In Dreams

Way back when, the idea for HM came to me in a dream. Just pieces of it. The protagonist, his battered white pick-up, his daughter and his best friend. I also knew where it was happening. That was about it. But that was enough to get me started. And a first draft finished.

Jenny asked me, in jest, if I was going to write a series based on one of my hobbies. I really didn't think much about it. That was a couple months ago. Last night, I dreamt about the setting, who the protagonist will be, a few of the other people involved, and how it could spin from HM (I'd like any series I write to spin off from that). No murder victim, yet, but I didn't have one for HM right away either.

I've known a couple people who said they dreamed their novels, start to finish. Seems like a very long dream to me. Or a very short novel. Either way, it's not what has happened to me. An interesting character and setting is about it. I'll take it though.

How about you? Have you ever had a new character show up in a dream? Ever dream a whole story?

No comments:

Post a Comment