Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Shakespeare’s Landlord (Lily Bard Mystery #1) by Charlaine Harris

Lily Bard has moved to Shakespeare, Arkansas, to get away from her past. [Bard/Shakespeare, get it?] During one of her insomnia-fueled late night walks, Lily witnesses the body of a nosy landlord being dumped in the park. She makes an anonymous phone call to the police, again to keep her past buried. As she goes about her cleaning woman duties in many of the apartments the landlord owned, Lily finds out much that is of interest to the local chief of police. When her martial arts instructor gets interested in her, her life may change forever.

Harris has a way with quirky characters. Lily Bard and the other citizens of Shakespeare are no exception. The story moves along at a good pace and certainly kept me guessing. As a matter of fact, I was convinced I had it figured out about a quarter of the way through. But I was wrong. This twist didn't feel like it came of left field like some do.

A fun, quick read. Just what I want out of a summer mystery. Think I'll check out some of Harris' other books set in Shakespeare.

No comments:

Post a Comment