Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson

This was one of those books that I'd heard and read so much about that I just didn't believe it could live up to the hype. Plus, I'd started to hear some grumblings about how the series, which is supposed to expose rampant misogyny and sexual abuse of women in Sweden, is itself misogynistic.

Lisbeth Salandar is a study in contradictions. She is under protective guardianship, having been declared unable to take care of herself. The state has determined that she is violent and mentally "deficient." Yet she works as a freelance investigator for a security firm and is an expert computer hacker.

Mikael Blomkvist is a famous investigative journalist who is editor in chief of Millenium (the source of the trilogies name). At the beginning of the book he is found guilty of libel due to an expose he wrote about a CEO of a multi-national firm. He takes a leave from the magazine and goes to work for an eccentric former corporate leader.

I will admit to having some difficulty with some of the violence and abuse, especially with regard to Lisbeth. But it's hard to write a book about the mistreatment of women without showing some of that mistreatment.

Blomkvist appears to be a chick magnet, even having an ongoing affair with his married business partner. Her husband approves of the arrangement. His lovers all know of each other and don't mind. I've found that many thrillers cast the male lead in this light (Bond anyone?) so was more amused than annoyed.

The puzzle and the action pulled me in, switched off my writer brain and had me turning pages like a mad woman. I took the book on vacation, thinking I might finish it during the week. When I realized that I'd finish the book about ten minutes into my the second leg of my flight, I ran to the the airport gift shop for the second book in the trilogy--even though I had two other books with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment